Friday, December 12, 2008

Death of a Washer - Part Two - The Internet Strikes Back

When last we met, it was Wednesday, and the Friendly Repair Guy was stumped about the problem with my washer. While he was fetching and replacing the Machine Controller Board, I was doing Internet Research on my washer problem. All the signs are there - the class action lawsuit, the discontinue-ness of the model, the comment from Friendly Repair Guy as he's walking out the door - "Maybe, if you find a new machine, you'd want to consider an extended warranty..." Yeah, all the signs.

My service call fee and job ticket information/diagnosis/parts list would be available for 30 days, so I opted to hold off on the replacement Machine Controller Board and look at options in a new model. I returned to my internet search with a new motive - Could I get a new washer for just over what that new part would cost me?

As it turns out, I could, The shopping began late that night with a trip to the home improvement store. Prices aren't bad, fair number of floor models to do some tire-kicking, but very overwhelming. Brands, tub size, number of wash modes, service records, discounts, free delivery options, pedestals...

So, after a quick lap around the Washer Area, I find that for the cost of the part to replace the old machine, I could have a top loader with a standard sized wash bucket, center agitator and no computer parts. These machines have dials and run forever. The price is right, as this has been a week of bleeding money. But, will that washer make me Truly Happy?

Around the corner from the basic washers, I found the super-capacity, highly efficient front-loaders. There were some machines that were only a bit outside the repair price, but didn't have as much capacity as other front-load washers. The models with the larger capacity were about as much as what I'd already sunk into the carcass in the laundry room, but New and Better. New. Unknown. Really Better?

And finaly, in the other aisle of the display were the new versions of my current machine - the top-loader that that acts like a front-loader. Less water, no agitator, HE detergent. I know this machine. I've used this machine. But, it's flakey. And maybe not yet fully improved.

There's some comfort in the new versions of my current machines - not as expensive or foreboding as the tall front-loading machines, and now with clear lids, so you can see the wash action. But, no. This machine's already cost me big money twice. I can't go back. There is no in-between. It's either old-school top-loader or new-school front-loader. The line has been drawn.

So, we're not going middle of the road, but which end of the spectrum? At this point, I was totally overwhelmed and wanting ice cream. Yeah, the laundry can pile up for another couple of days. This will not be done tonight.

Thursday was Work Day. I had client deliverables to finish up, and a party after work, so there were no field trips for my Laundry Research. I did do a little online research, discussed some price ranges with Friend Husband, and, most importantly, got some antecdotal advice from co-workers and other moms - offering a great perspective on my issue. As in - Go Big or Go Home.

As for tonight, it's time to sleep on it, for tomorrow is another day.

No comments: