Friday, December 12, 2008

Death of a Washer - Part Three - A New Hope

Friday. Office work is done. Today's the day I need to Buy a Washer. My mind is set - don't settle for something small and cheap. If this washer will be replaced, it needs to be Worth It. So, we're headed toward the 4.0 cubic foot capacity front loader.

The day begins with a trip to the Home Improvement store. It's early, and not a lot of retail places are open, but the Home Improvement store is crawling with contractors. And me and my washer research. I'm met by several helpful employees, who put up with my pesky questions and furious note-taking. One thing I read on the washer repair forums, these front-load machines have problems with stuff from the washer draining and clogging the pump. Many of the machines out on the floor here at the Home Improvement store have quick-access panels on the front, offering the at-home user easy access to the pump clean-out piece. (I also read that there's a lot of water that can drain when cleaning out the pump this way - need to file that away for later...) This small detail becomes one of the key features on my Must Have List. Simple, but something that makes sense. (Other Must Haves - an extended warranty.) One model that catches my eye - a German-made Bosch within my price range. Ooh, really?? There are 5 machines at this location that make the Short List.

Next, it's time to call the in-laws to arrange a trip to the downtown appliance store. Several people have expressed the excellent pricing available at this store, and it's worth a look. (They don't publish models or prices on the web site, so a site visit is in order.) The meeting is set, and I've got time to go home and hit the web. More research!

Part of what my research tells me is what brands I don't want. The repair forum is full of stories about the evil few manufacturers. No strong recommendations, but lots of horror stories and common problems. Not to worry - all this helps to narrow down my choices.

Ok, time to meet my father-in-law for the site visit downtown. All the available models at this have one thing in common - no front access panel for the pump cleanout. They will all require a hex screwdriver and removal of the whole front panel. The more I consider this option, the more I know: Yeah. I really don't like that idea. Their prices are good, though. Maybe when I have to replace my dishwasher (knock on wood).

Back across the river, I decide to run through another home improvement chain to check out another line of foreign-made washers - the LGs. As it turns out, there's an LG in my price range. This model quickly becomes my top contender - ready-access pump cleanout panel, built in water heater, stainless steel wash drum, rear mounted controls (that control stuff is all asthetics - it'd be a better match to my leftover dryer. So much for a MATCHED SET.). Unfortuntely, the first available delivery date is 6 days out, and the associate tells me that the washer will be on sale three days following that date. Well, that's a bummer. I can't wait 2 weeks for a washer. So, that kind of seals the deal on the Bosch. Oh, except the first home improvement chain is supposed to carry LG. The store that offers next-day delivery and is having a sale right now? Really?

Now, it's time to cross the river and visit The First Home Improvement chain store #2. Maybe this other store is bigger and carries the LG line. I am hopeful, but find when I get to the store, they do not carry LGs. Ok. Back to the Bosch, which is still a very good machine. Ooh, but I do see that the washer pedestal, that seems like such a silly add-on, but would make the front-load machine a little easier to reach, and would be a good place to store rags, as I read another regular maintenance issue with a front-loader is to keep the door gasket clean...oh, where was I? Anyway, there's a pedestal drawer for the Bosch washer on clearance. Bingo! Time to hit the office for a little work, and then I'm off to buy a washer.

Fast forward one hour. I'm back at the local First Home Improvement chain store to buy my washer. They have my model in stock, it is on sale, and I can get it delivered tomorrow. Sweet! The only catch is that this store doesn't have any of the pedestals on clearance. I opt to drive back to The First Home Improvement chain store #2 and buy the pedestal there, figuring it can be part of the installation when the washer arrives. (Better that than a possible retro-fit accomplished by myself and Friend Husband. No way, no how!) Grab the kids from school, we're headed back across the river for an adventure!

Three stores later, the washer and pedestal are both purchased. The final challenge...how to get the 15" tall x 27" wide pedestal in the back of my car.

Step 1) shove the junk in the trunk out of the way.
Step 2) slide box off the shopping cart and into the trunk. Try to move the box, not the cart. Yeek!
Step 3) set box on the ground; it will fit width-wise, but not depth-wise.
Step 4) put away shopping cart, move junk out of trunk into front seat of car.
Step 5) hope the person driving by in the SUV is a helpful sort who might maneuver this box for me. I've been in my Tall Shoes all day, and they're starting to hate me.
Step 6) just do it - heave box from ground over trunk edge and shove it. Hey, it fits! Kind of hangs out the end, but it's tight on the sides, and should survive the trip Back Across the River.
Step 6a) Acknowledge comment from female SUV driver - "Hey, I saw you haul that box up into your trunk! Nice job!" Thank you, Jazzercise. ;-)
Step 7) Secure trunk lid with twine.
Step 8) Ride off into the sunset. Literally. It's taken me all day, but I've bought a washer. Whew!
The whole ride home, the kids were plotting their adventures for the appliance boxes. Well, they stopped that after about 10 minutes and started asking about dinner. I have to remember to get the box off the truck tomorrow. That will probably end up being what they still play with after Christmas. Sigh.

Finally, we're home. My secret for getting the pedestal into the house - rolling luggage cart. It's in the front hall, waiting for placement tomorrow in the laundry room. Tonight's mission - clear a path for the installers to bring the new washer in through the front door. I guess that includes fluffing up and re-stringing the lights on the bottom half of the Christmas tree.

More news - and maybe pictures - tomorrow!

No comments: