Sunday, August 17, 2008

Watering the Cat

Inspired partly by my brother-in-law's feline watering system (aka: fancy filtered water bowl), and partly by the grunge at the bottom of our cats' existing water bowl, I purchased a new watering system for the cats. It does not include a filter, but it does incorporate a pump, which leaves the water bubbling happily in the dish, instead of sitting there collecting dust. In their younger days, our cats enjoyed a fight with a drip from the sink faucet, so I figured if only for the entertainment value, a new bubbling water dish would be worth it.

The box arrived, and after a thorough inspection of the box and all it's claims, the girls and I unboxed and assembled the new water dish. Filled it up, waited for the water dish part to fill with water, and let it bubble. (Of course, both girls had to stick their fingers in the water and check out the bubbling. Hah!) One of the features that I liked when I chose this water system was the fact that the pump apparatus is not integrated into the water dish itself; there's about three feet of tubing between the pump and the dish, so the cats won't get freaked out by the humming of the electrical parts.

After the girls were in bed, the cats came out for the evening, and stopped by the kitchen for dinner and drinks. Well, I saw Buger downstairs checking things out - Dusty only operates under the cover of darkness. Anyway, Buger sat about a foot away from the bowl, staring at the bubbling water for a very long time. I don't know that she ever drank from the bowl, and I don't know if I'll ever catch her actually drinking. There is, however, proof that someone's been investigating - there are splashes all over the floor around the new bowl.

Next purchase: motion-activated low light spy camera. To see if the cats are drinking from the dish or just splashing.

3 comments:

Insomniac said...

If you really want to know what your cats are up to, you might want to check out the kitty collar cam: http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,487047,00.html

Insomniac said...

If the other link doesn't work, try: http://www.mr-lee-catcam.de/

The guy has a kitty GPS for goodness sakes!

Alison said...

"the cat's eye view," indeed! I think my cat's view wouldn't be that exciting - I expect they spend most of the day crashed out on the bed!

Thanks for the links, Sharon. Funny stuff! ;-)