Wednesday, August 20, 2008

20 years plus one week

Well, it's been a little more than a week since my 20-year high school reunion. I'm glad I made the trip - it was great to catch up with my high school friends, and really interesting to go back to my hometown for the first time in almost 20 years. So much has changed, but so much has stayed the same - that applies to the people and the places, I think!

What was even more interesting, was sitting at our friends' dining room table last night, going through the list of must-haves for their high school senior! I knew Senior pictures had to be done early, but they also had the order form for the graduation announcements, party invitations, senior memory book and the cap and gown. Seems a little early for those things... oh, but the Senior Key and extra tassles, and engraved photo frames? Anybody still have theirs?

Side note - I don't think I had to purchase the gown - I think it was a rental? We did buy the cap and tassle - mine is still is in my cedar chest (which, after going through the archival material stashed in my yearbooks shouldn't surprise anyone), but I know if I'd had to buy the gown, I'd still have it. Case in point - my sister's graduation gown is still hanging in a closet at my parents' house (not quite 20 years later, but several moves later!! And it's a lovely shade of electric blue. Yikes!!).

Ok, for those that are curious - here's what I had stashed in my yearbooks: Graduation announcement, program from the graduation ceremony, my public library card, my permanent hall pass (bonus!!), all four years' worth of class schedules... Yeah. You'd be afraid to see what my house looks like. Where's that blog for living simply??

1 comment:

Insomniac said...

Wow, school has barely started and that are already getting ready to order graduation stuff? I still have my graduation cap and tassels, and maybe some of the graduation and school programs somewhere. But I'm not organized enough to keep it in my yearbook like you are ;) Truthfully, most of the stuff they asked us to buy doesn't really matter after 20 years...