Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Iron Maiden

My iron was dying. I bought a replacement as part of the back-to-school shopping trip (at Target, of course!). It's a Sunbeam with average features, but it's purple!! (I had some help in picking it out!) To tell the truth, a purple iron felt pretty frivolous, especially next to the dignified silver and white model next to it on the display. But, purple won the vote, so into the cart it went.

I got home with the new iron, and left it downstairs for a few weeks. Maybe my sensible old blue and white iron wasn't really dying, maybe I was just imagining things. So, my sensible old blue iron and I limped along for a bit, managing, somehow, to get enough wrinkles out that I looked presentable at work. Sometimes.

Yesterday, I got up in the morning and set out to iron my work clothes. I added water to my sensible old blue iron, ironed my clothes, and set off to work. When I got home, much like a new puppy left in the house alone too long, I found my iron sitting in a puddle on the ironing board. Oh, Iron. There was the proof. My sensible old blue iron had developed a leak, and should be replaced.

I sauntered downstairs to fetch the new purple iron. I unpacked it, and noticed the sleek lines and slightly translucent water reservoir. Ooh, and it came with a little pitcher, so you can add water without pouring it all over the front of the iron (and onto the ironing board!). I even detected a bit of a scent, something along the lines of "new car smell." This new iron might be fun. Not as frivolous as I'd thought.

I plugged in the iron, and turned it on. The heat selection dial was very ergonomic. And, I discovered the four steam settings. I cranked up the steam and pulled out one of my most challenging ironing projects - my khaki pants. The new purple iron got hot right away, and ironed those pants like nobody's business! I even set out to iron a dress shirt to wear with my khakis, and it came out smooth and crisp. Oh, I love this new iron. Who would have thought??

So, the moral of the story: Just because something is purple and flashy, that doesn't mean it won't function well! At least, not in this case! And now, I think my ironing board cover needs replacing, to match my iron.

No comments: