Saturday, January 16, 2010

Crafty Undertaking

(That title may need to be edited, else someone thinks this is some sort of entry on scrapbooking-meets-embalming techniques!)

So, in the rush out the door to school/work one morning this week, I noticed a piece of fuzz on the seat of the sofa. Upon further inspection, the fuzz turned out to be a snag/rip/hole in the seat cushion. Drat. Well, actually, this could be a "good news/bad news" situation. The bad news is there's a rip in the seat cushion. The good news is I have 10+ yards of fabric in the basement, meant to recover another couch, but could certainly be used for this project.

Pat walked through and flipped the cushion. "Problem solved!" he says. ;-)

But, I've got an extra day off work on Monday, so I figure this is as good a time as any to try and make slipcovers for those couches.

So far, I've
  • Dug the fabric and supplies out of the basement, and taken inventory. Well, I have a list of all the supplies; I haven't measured the fabric out. (Because I don't want to find out that I don't have enough!!)

  • Guesstimated at some of the required supplies - how much cording I'll need to edge the couch cushions, how much velcro I'll need to keep the covers together, etc.

  • Washed the fabric

  • Called Mom for a little "you can do it!" message. :-)

  • Made the trip to the fabric store to buy contrasting trim fabric, accent material for the toss pillows, and more thread and new needles for the sewing machine.

I figure the place to start is to make the piping, which will be a challenge to my math/geometry skills. The trim fabric is in the wash, and I'm Googling sewing tips to try and get this straight in my head.

Updates to follow!!

No comments: