Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Wednesday - Anything Can Happen Day!

A quote from The Mickey Mouse Club! How appropriate!

Well, Spring has sprung and we've been dealing with an assortment of allergy symptoms at home over the past two weeks. I thought that was excitement enough, but it turns out, I was wrong.

On the way in to work this morning, I hit the gas pedal to accelerate on a ramp, and the engine revved, but the car did not respond. "Odd," I thought. But, the car was still tooling along, so I rounded the corner to the office parking lot and didn't think anything else about it.

We've also started track season, so I was leaving work in time to get over to school and deliver one of the girls to practice. I got to the first stop light on the way to the highway, and the engine shuddered. Um. That's interesting...I got to the second light, where I normally turn left to get onto the ramp to the highway. Car idled nicely at the light, but when I hit the gas at the green, it just sputtered. I managed to veer right and make it out of the right hand turn lane, turned on my hazard lights, and tried to figure out what to do next.

So, I made a few phone calls. Coworker, in case I'd need a ride home; Husband, to help me determine alternate pickup plans for the kids; Towing Company, to get the car out of the way; Gear Head Friend, to figure out if my diagnosis of transmission problems was accurate; Transmission Service Shop, to let them know we were bringing the car over; and Mom and Dad, for some sympathy. A police officer was also in the area, and came to check up on things. "Give us a call if you end up needing anything." Sigh.

My smart phone came in very handy, as I was able to find the number for the tow truck and the transmission service company, as well as the Kelly Blue Book Value of my car. (Who knew Kelly Blue Book would have a mobile app?)

So, the kids and husband met me at the transmission place, we managed to get the tow truck driver paid, and will get the diagnosis of the vehicle tomorrow. Next, comes the discussion of how much money we will put into this vehicle, or is it time to find a replacement.

More updates to come. I'm off to research cars... ;-)

No comments: